Thursday 10 April 2014

Lilli Carre

I really love Lilli Carre's work, as she seems to create a variety from illustration to animation to graphics. 

So I decided to email her to gather a better understanding of what she does and why she does it!

Hi Jess, I have some responses to your questions here below: 

Do you think that animation is a more effective way of capturing an new audience and new clients because of its interactive appeal?
I don't think about making things for clients so much as I do about making animation as my own work, in line with my own tastes and interests. I'm not sure animation is naturally interactive per se, but I do think that people get an inherent sense of wonder and delight in hand drawn animation, seeing something they are used to being still come to life. Animated gifs can be irritating and also entrancing or delightful, depending on how they are used.
 
Originally, did you study illustration and animated later?
I never studied illustration -- I went to an art school where there were no required majors, so I bounced between animation, film, fiber, writing, print, comics, etc. Illustration work came about through people seeing my personal comics and animation work, and it kind of snowballed from there. Illustration is a side thing that I do whenever people approach me about a project, it's not something I've sought out. But I enjoy it when it comes my way -- it gets me out of my regular way of working, and of course it pays, which is refreshing!
 
What would you say is the best software to bring to life a drawn illustration?
Paper and pen and a scanner, first and foremost! I make and love classically drawn animation and experimental animation, and I'm not really into anything that feels like it was made with motion graphics or After Effects, it doesn't have the same human feel. Beyond paper and a scanner, I sometimes use various combinations of a camera stand, Flash, Dragon, Photoshop or Quicktime 7 to capture / create  and compile the drawings.
 
What are your main stages of creating an animation?
I'm not sure what you mean by this question?
 
Thank you for your time! I'm currently creating the foundations to create a short animated story about pirates, but I wanted to try and make it an interactive animation that could be used on an ipad, like Christophe Niemann's App Petting Zoo. Sounds fun, good luck with your project!

Thanks again for your time,

Jess Driver

Sent from my iPad



-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment