Friday 1 November 2013

My lost story.

The forgotten tale of the knot,

I did a Lot of sailing in he summer, another very inspiration aspect from the summer. Me and my dad where discussing how fast we had possibly sailed in knots. But was a knot, how did it measure how fast we where going how was it even created? 
So I started researching and found that the knot was first created when sailors wanted to discover how fast they where going, it was a very manual process, they used a lot of rope that had knots tied at correct distances with a nig bit of wood at the end at was designed so that it would 'catch hold' of the water so  when thrown over board would pull the rope as the ship continued to sail. Then he counted the knots tied in the rope as they went over board for a matter of seconds then calculate this to equal the speed of the ship. I wanted to keep it simple as I wanted to tell it as a children's story.
I would get pirates to tell the story of the knot. 
So I started looking at children book illustrators that possibly illustrated pirates, I wanted to see how they cartoon pirates down. This is one of my favourite discoveries Sebastia Serra and the illustrated book A Pirated Night Before Christmas by Philip Yates. I loved the colours used, the lack of line, and the fun and entertaining characters. It would be something really different then I normally create. But in the summer I just stayed loose, drawing brief sketches, with no restrictions to create. Just to enjoy. And some good little characters started developing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment